Dignity Health Sports Park
- Key Facts
- Seating Plan
- Hotels Near Dignity Health Sports Park
- Cheapest Offers
- How to Get to Dignity Health Sports Park
- Eating Out Nearby
- Pubs, Bars & Cafes
- Things to See at Dignity Health Sports Park
- Stadium Tour
- Fan Store
- Things to Do in Carson, CA
- Sightseeing Tour
- Top 3 Places to Visit
|Address||18400 Avalon Boulevard, Carson, California, USA|
|Club||The LA Galaxy (MLS) and the Los Angeles Chargers (NFL)|
|Build Date||June 1, 2003|
|Average Attendance||MLS: 22,251 (Season 2017)
NFL: 25,370 (Season 2017)
|Record Attendance||27,000 (multiple times)|
|Stadium Cost||$150 million for the complex|
|Roof||Over-hanging roofs on both sides of the field covering about 50% of the seats|
|Who is the owner of Dignity Health Sports Park?||Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG)|
|Pitch Size||120 yd × 75 yd|
|Where is Dignity Health Sports Park located?||33.864°N 118.261°W|
|Nickname||Former names: the Home Depot Center (2003–2013), StubHub Center (2013–2018)|
|Surface||FieldTurf Revolution 360|
Although Dignity Health Sports Park’s capacity is only 27,000, currently it’s the largest soccer-specific stadium in the States. The ground hosts the LA Galaxy of the MLS since its opening. It had also hosted Chivas USA MLS team from 2005 to 2014 but the team ceased to exist. Today the stadium also has a temporary tenant. The Los Angeles Chargers of the NFL currently plays its home games there. This team was previously known as the San Diego Chargers from 1961 to 2017 and most of its supporters live in San Diego. However, when the club’s authorities have announced that they are returning to Los Angeles where they only played from 1959 to 1961, many of their fans abandoned the team. Today they often sell out tickets to Dignity Health Sports Park but many of the fans that arrive are the opposite teams’ fans. The Los Angeles Chargers are currently constructing a $5 billion Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park which they are planning to share with the St. Louis Rams starting from 2020.
Dignity Health Sports Park, previously known as StubHub Center sells the following ticket categories (ranked from the most expensive to the cheapest ones):
- Champions Lounge zone including Luxury Suites, Event Suites, and Club Seats;
- Sideline zone;
- Corner zone;
- Mezzanine zone;
- Endline zone.
Dignity Health Sports Park has about 50% fewer seats than the next smallest NFL stadium, the Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum. Therefore, the rival football fans even call it a theater emphasizing its tiny size. But since it’s the largest soccer-specific stadium in the country, so far its size satisfies the needs of the stadium’s main tenant, the LA Galaxy.
StubHub is a perfect timesaving solution when you need to buy rare tickets quickly. In many cases, you will be able to attend the game at Dignity Health Sports Park after visiting this website, even when the tickets are sold out everywhere else. StubHub certainly sells tickets not only for football and soccer games. The tickets for the concerts, CrossFit games, and all other events that take place at the stadium are also listed there. For example, during the 2028 Summer Olympics, Dignity Health Sports Park will host tennis, rugby, field hockey, modern pentathlon, and track cycling competitions. I’m sure those tickets will be available at StubHub as well.
The other ways to purchase your tickets are next:
- The official LA Galaxy’s website and the Los Angeles Chargers website;
- Via email – email@example.com for the LA Galaxy tickets;
- By phone – 877-3GALAXY (342-5299) for MLS Cup tickets;
- Southwest box office works on non-event days and northwest box office works on event days opening at 10 a.m.
The tickets for the football games at Dignity Health Sports Park are quite pricey, ranging from $70 to $375, with an average of $192, not considering the luxury suites. The soccer tickets at Dignity Health Sports Park are much more affordable. The regular MLS matchday tickets usually cost $28-120.
Hotels Near Dignity Health Sports Park
The stadium is situated about 15 miles to the south from Los Angeles Downtown and 4 miles away from the center of Carson. Therefore, you have options where to stay during your sports trip to Dignity Health Sports Park. No matter whether you want to rent accommodations in LA or in Carson, Booking.com is your best helper. As usual, I have my own hints for the soccer and football fans. Keep in mind that I prefer to stay as close as possible to the ground.
- Motel 6 Gardena – this accommodation is located at a distance of 1.2 miles from Dignity Health Sports Park. The motel provides nice rooms with private bathrooms at one of the best prices in the area – $83 per night.
- Motel 6 Carson – the place has all the necessary basic things that the traveler might need. Plus the rooms are equipped with flat-screen TVs, refrigerators, microwaves, and a free WiFi. The night costs $95. The distance to the sports venue is 1.7 miles.
- Willow Tree Inn Los Angeles – another budget accommodation situated within walking distance from the ground. The property can be proud of its cleanness and comfort. They charge $96 per room for two including breakfast.
- Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Carson – a 15-minute walk will bring you to Dignity Health Sports Park. It can accommodate you in nice and large rooms with great beds and perfect breakfasts. There is also free parking for customers.
- Extended Stay America Los Angeles/Carson – is another relaxing and very cozy place to accommodate you at a distance of less than a mile from the main soccer ground in California. There are also restaurants and all the necessary shops nearby. The price is $112 per night including breakfast.
How to Get to Dignity Health Sports Park
Since the stadium is located 14 miles away from LA Downtown, getting there via public transport is often not really convenient. However, there are some options and I’m sure you’ll choose whatever fits you the best.
By Car – the 110 Freeway goes to the south from LA Downtown and in 11 miles you’ll need to turn to the left and head along the 91 Freeway. A mile later, exit at Avalon Blvd, turn left on Victoria Street and see the parking area and Dignity Health Sports Park on the right side. If you are arriving from the south, follow the 110 Freeway, turn right twice onto Avalon Blvd and then onto University Blvd. The ground will become visible on your left.
By Taxi – to reduce the cost of the taxi on your way from LA Downtown to the stadium, get yourself to Artesia Transit Center via metro silver line and find a cab there. The cheaper alternatives are Lyft and Uber. You can also save on transportation during this trip if you book a hotel in Carson rather than Los Angeles.
By Bus – line 52 can deliver you from LA Downtown to the sports ground. Be warned that the bus passes through the most unsafe area of the city. It’s recommended to be especially cautious at night.
By Metro and Bus – the metro silver line can bring you from Los Angeles to Artesia Transit Center. From there take one of the buses 52, 205, or 246. Depending on your choice you’ll be able to get to Avalon Blvd or Victoria Street in 5 minutes. From there you’ll need to walk just a few minutes.
By the Galaxy Express – this option is only available 90 minutes prior to kick-off when the LA Galaxy plays its home games and 45 minutes after the match is over. The pickup locations are Harbor Gateway Transit Center and Del Amo Station. For more info, visit the official website.
By Plane – if you are arriving at LAX airport, take Greenline Shuttle and get off at Aviation/LAX Station in three stops. Take the metro green line and get off at Willowbrook – Rosa Parks Station. From there you can take the bus line 205 which will bring you to Avalon / 186th. Walk for one minute to get to the stadium. Alternatively, you may switch from the metro green line to the silver line and follow the abovementioned route in “by metro and bus” paragraph. The whole trip from LAX airport to Dignity Health Sports Park takes 70-90 minutes.
By the way, here is how I usually search for the best deals and purchase tickets for trains, buses, and flights in the most efficient way. I use GoEuro.com while discovering new cities with epic stadiums and friendly football communities. I hope you’ll also benefit from using this unique trip planning solution.
Eating Out Nearby
Carson is just a suburb of Los Angeles, so the fine dining options are limited there. If you want to experience a variety of menus from every corner of the world, you need to go to LA Downtown. You’ll be able to find many iconic dishes in Los Angeles, including Chirashi lunch special from Sushi Gen, ice cream sandwich from Diddy Riese, edible espresso cup from Alfred Coffee, and incredible French dip sandwich from Philippe’s. However, the following places will feed you closer to the stadium without the necessity to go all the way to LA Downtown.
Pubs, Bars & Cafes
- EL Burro – is a great Mexican café for a quick bite. It’s located only 0.7 miles away from the sports venue. Black beans, tacos, and sauces are just as tasty as they are in Mexico.
- Dandy Lion – is another place to eat at any time of the day very close to Dignity Health Sports Park. You’ll only need to walk five minutes from the stadium to this café. The food is simple, tasty and extremely cheap. They serve cereals, eggs, sausages, toasts, chilis, hot cakes, and pastry.
- Torrance Brew Yard – is an amazing bar and grill. They have the bike and car parks and it is 2.7 miles away from the stadium. The atmosphere on matchdays is incredibly lively and friendly. Some great craft beers start from $3 there.
- Restaurant 917 – is one of the best restaurants located within a 2-mile radius from Dignity Health Sports Park. It can be found on the second floor of the Porsche Experience Center. Their exclusive three-course Chef’s tasting menu for $65 is simply fantastic.
- Back Home in Lahaina – this restaurant is less formal and more affordable than the previous one. They serve Polynesian and Hawaiian dishes in a traditional tropical atmosphere and with the spirit of Aloha, hula dancers, and Hawaiian bands. The distance to the ground is 2.5 miles.
- Mike & Nate’s House of Seafood – this place is quite fancy and has an excellent value. Situated only 1.8 miles from the stadium, this restaurant can be listed among the best places to eat in Carson.
Things to See at Dignity Health Sports Park
This wonderful stadium welcomes everyone to experience the LA Galaxy Stadium Tour – a truly nice opportunity to go behind the scenes of this great venue.
Dignity Health Sports Park is a landmark soccer stadium with great facilities. During the 1-hour tour, you’ll get acquainted with lots of exciting things. Among them is the Champions Lounge, the team lounge, the weight room, the TV studio, the LA Galaxy trophy case, and so on. Probably the most touching moment of the tour for every real fan is going through the tunnel onto the field level. The prices are incredibly affordable – from $5 to $12 depending on the group size and your age. Another bonus is that you’ll get a discount for the LA Galaxy merchandise. Register for the tour online as early as possible or at least 48 hours prior to your date of visit.
The LA Galaxy team store operates on event days and Tuesday through Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm. You can find it next to the Southwest Box Office at the Main Entrance, on the Northeast Concourse, or on the South Plaza. The apparel is also available online.
The stadium’s temporary tenants, the Los Angeles Chargers also sell their original merchandise online.
Things to Do in Carson, CA
The most exciting thing about Carson is the fact that you can get to LA Downtown as quickly as in half an hour and experience the full range of sightseeing options available in that magnificent city. However, even if you’ve already seen everything in Los Angeles and want to chill just in Carson and nearby, I’ll give you some hints.
Classic two-story buses don’t go to Carson, CA. However, there is a great way to explore the area from the sea. Take a cab from the stadium to Long Beach and in 20 minutes you’ll find yourself in a lovely area with tons of waterfront activities. The place is absolutely terrific and it’s much less crowded compared to Malibu, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, and the other trendy places in LA. One of the numerous options at Long Beach that I can recommend is to take the Catalina Express tour and sail to Catalina Island on a wonderful speedboat. You’ll definitely enjoy a fun day making lots of amazing discoveries.
Top 3 Places to Visit
Aquarium of the Pacific – it’s one of the top attractions in that area of LA suburbs. You can get there much easily from Carson rather than from LA. The distance is 12 miles and the best way to get there is by car, taxi, Uber, or Lyft. Discover the most amazing inhabitants of the Pacific Ocean. It’s an enjoyable place to spend a couple of hours with your family and friends.
Long Beach Waterfront – is easy to combine with the place of interest mentioned above. Experience unity with eternity and explore miles of lovely nature trails. If you are a jogger or a biker, you’ll have an opportunity to see much more than an average tourist. The shoreline village is truly beautiful and you’ll love the boardwalk, restaurants, and souvenir shops.
Naples Island – is located a bit further away from Carson but it’s definitely worth it. If you are lucky enough to be there during the Naples Island Annual Boat Parade that takes place in December, you’ll never forget this day. In overall, it’s a classy location with spectacular water views and romantic gondola rides.