|Address||Baseball Ground, Shaftesbury Crescent, Derby, DE3 8NB|
Initially, the Baseball Ground was built for a baseball team in 1890. The stadium located in Derby, the UK had only 4,000 places. However, the games did not reach the desired popularly, and that is why in five years, the ground was given Derby County F.C., and the stadium capacity was increased by 5 times.
The first football game held at the Baseball Ground was seen by 10,000 spectators. In the 1920s, Francis Ley sold his freehold on the ground to Derby. Over the next several years, the number of football fans who wanted to attend Derby’s games increased significantly, which forced the football club to conduct a range of renovations, including building a new stand, enlarging the terrace at the Popular Side, building the Osmaston End, and more. Finally, the total capacity of the stadium reached 38,000 places.
A few new improvements were made, which allowed fitting more spectators, and in 1969, nearly 42,000 people visited the stadium to watch the Derby/Tottenham Hotspur game.
The era of the stadium’s success ended in 1980, due to the failure of Derby to remain in the First Division. After a range of unsuccessful games, the football club, eventually, managed to return to the First Division, but the condition of the stadium was maintained only on the minimal level.
Soon after the Taylor Report was published, the Baseball Ground turned into an all-seater, and its capacity was decreased in nearly two times.
In 1996, it was officially announced that the club was going to move to another stadium. The last game of Derby at the Baseball Ground took place in 1997.
A range of other teams played at the stadium during the next several seasons, but the ground was soon purchased for residential housing. It was fully demolished in 2003.