|Address||The Circle, Walton Street, Anlaby Road, Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England|
|Club||Hull City A.F.C. – football
Hull F.C. – rugby
|Build Date||18 December 2002|
|Architect||The Miller Partnership|
|Average Attendance||15,622 (Season 2017 – 2018)|
|Record Attendance||25,280 (England U 21 v. Netherlands U21, 3–2, 17 February 2004)|
|Stadium Cost||£44 million|
|Roof||Yes, completely covers the seats|
|Who is the owner of MKM Stadium?||Hull City Council / KCOM|
|Pitch Size||114 x 78 yards|
|Where is MKM Stadium located?||53°44′46″N 0°22′4″W|
|Nickname||Former name – KC Stadium (2002–2016), KCOM Stadium|
Located next to the Victorian West Park, the MKM Stadium complex is the country’s first such venue situated in a parkland setting. The ground’s entrance is partially obscured by trees but the stadium can be easily seen for some distance around. The complex manages over 34 acres of land which is also adding to its inimitable atmosphere.
The MKM Stadium’s construction process took less than a year. It is now hosting both Hull football and rugby league clubs. The bowl-shaped stadium is totally enclosed and each of the seats is protected by the roof. The venue contains a continuous single tier of seats, in fact, only the West Stand can boast with its second tier. It’s also known as the Cranswick PLC Stand.
Let’s have a look at the categories of seats now:
- Category 1 – East Stand and West Stand seats, including the upper tier of the latter (but sometimes they charge more for those tickets);
- Category 2 – South Stand seats available for the home team’s fans;
- Away – all seats located at the North Stand or sometimes only North-East corner.
The MKM Stadium hosted four England under-21 internationals from 2003 to 2008. Among the other events taking place there are international rugby league games and musical events. Sir Elton John, Bryan Adams, and R.E.M. are among the stars who performed there.
I’ve heard some people are suspicious about the services like Ticket Compare but you can rest assured they always deliver tickets on time, even if you don’t live in the UK. In many cases, it’s also the only way to obtain tickets for certain popular events such as an important football game, rugby international competition or a music concert. While I recommend Ticket Compare as an easy and convenient way to get tickets, they charge more than the traditional ticket sellers. Here are the other ways to purchase the MKM Stadium tickets:
- Go to the official website of the stadium, find the ‘Ticket Office’ button on the menu and choose the type of the event you are interested in;
- Call +44 (0) 1482 505600 to order the tickets if you are in the UK;
- Go to the ticket office located right at the stadium or contact them via email email@example.com if you have any additional enquiries.
There are three pricing categories for the matchday tickets of Hull City. Category C matches cost from £9 to £29. Tickets for Category A matches range from £25 to £35. Category B matches are priced somewhere in between. Of course, all prices are subject to change.
Trip.com is one of the world’s most famous websites which will allow you to book accommodation in nearly any place on our planet. There are some wonderful hotels near the MKM Stadium. However, you may choose to stay in the Old Town of Hull. That area will allow you to have faster access to some of the best eateries, malls, and places of interest. The distance from the city’s centre to the sports ground is about 1.5 miles.
- The Vale Apart Hotel – the stadium is around a 10-minute walk away. The hotel is also situated quite close to the Old Town. The rooms are clean, the personnel are extremely friendly, and the price is only £29 per night.
- Gilson Hotel – is clean and quite cosy for a place charging its guests only £34 per night. The distance from this hotel to the Hull’s main sports ground is 1.3 miles. However, it’s located closer to the city centre which is a win-win choice for someone who wants to enjoy both the event and the city.
- The Dorchester Hotel – £48 per night, free parking, non-smoking rooms including family rooms, free Wi-Fi, and a great bar are among the things to enjoy in this hotel. It’s situated near Pearson Park, 1.7 miles away from the MKM Stadium.
- Hideout Hotel – is another excellent hotel with a nice location which will allow you to explore the city centre. Its design is stylish and you can feel how much the hotel owners care about the convenience and pleasant details. The rooms are spacious and the only drawback is the nearby church which can wake you up with its bells. But some people actually love those bells.
- Admiral of the Humber Wetherspoon – is another centric hotel located within a 1.5-mile distance from the venue. With the price tag of £52 for a room of a decent size with amazingly clean and bright bathroom, it really has the potential to exceed your expectations.
- Doubletree by Hilton Hull – the minimum price for this hotel room is £154. As always, the hotel of this type provides excellent service. The rooms are spotless and the food is delicious. The distance from this hotel to the MKM Stadium is just about 1 mile.
- Kingston Theatre Hotel – is a terrific hotel with perfect rooms starting at £94. This spacious and friendly boutique hotel has an inimitable atmosphere of tenderness. Possibly it’s the best value for money in Hull within 1.5 miles distance from the city’s main sports ground.
How to get to
As I’ve already mentioned, the MKM Stadium is situated pretty close to the Old Town. It’s not only convenient in terms of accommodations but also in the context of easy access to the ground. The most important events take place at the MKM Stadium and in many cases, the visitors can even get there by feet. For sure, there are some transport alternatives for you.
By Train – the venue is approximately a 20-minute walk from Hull Paragon Railway Station. If you prefer not to walk, take one of the following buses: 66, 152, Simplibus 2, or 350 Humber Fastcat.
By Bus – among the other buses which can take you from Hull’s downtown area to the MKM Stadium is Humber Flyer. Dial 01482 222222 to reach Bus Call if you want to get more details on bus routes in Hull.
By Car – use SAT NAV to get the most helpful directions to the MKM stadium because of the high probability of the traffic jams on matchdays. The stadium doesn’t provide parking but South Car Park and Walton Street Car Park can be found near the ground. Eventday on-street parking near the stadium is prohibited.
By Plane – Humberside Airport (HUY) is the closest airport to Hull. The distance from there to the MKM stadium is 18 miles. Humber Flyer stops just by the ground and the trip from the airport normally takes 45-50 minutes.
Certain restrictions apply to on-street parking before the football games taking place at the MKM Stadium. Therefore, it’s sometimes hard to find proper parking nearby. However, there is always a solution. The approximate matchday paid parking price near the sports venue in Kingston upon Hull is £3.
Eating out nearby
If you are looking for the ideas where to eat in Hull, I’ve got a few hints that might be helpful. The Old Town has plenty of traditional quality pubs with narrow rooms and an intimate atmosphere. Another centric destination to start with is Trinity Market. Luckily, Hull is not that big and the MKM stadium is not far from all those hot spots. Whether you are looking for a quick bite or fine dining, Hull has got a lot of fabulous places to choose from.
Pubs, bars & cafes
- Thieving Harry’s – is a simple and sort of quirky café which can be ideal for a quick bite. They serve classic English food with some vegetarian and vegan options. There is something special about the atmosphere of this place and it almost feels like out of time.
- Burlington Hotel – one of the city’s best pubs with excellent value for the money. If you like to enjoy real ales, friendly atmosphere, and be served by efficient and attractive barmaids – you know where to go.
- East Park Fish Restaurant – is one of the cheapest places in Hull where you can enjoy high-quality seafood, mushy peas, patties, and chips. Several locals told me that was the best affordable place to eat out. The distance from the ground is 5.5 miles though, which is the place’s only drawback.
- Robbie Johnsons – can easily become one of your favourite traditional cafes in Hull considering their moderate prices and wonderful atmosphere. It’s located in the centre and they serve some great sandwiches, tasty chicken, some great lunches, tea cakes, cheesecakes and much more.
- The Madras Restaurant – is a terrific Indian venue within walking distance from the ground. It’s hard to beat the mix of delicious food and exceptionally polite service. It’s no wonder the place tends to become trendier each day.
- Aegean Taverna Greek – is another ultra-popular eatery located just a few steps from the stadium in Hull. Greek and Mediterranean food is always like a gift from ancient gods. In this place, it’s always hard to decide what to choose because everything is so delicious!
Things to see at the stadium
If you arrive at the stadium in advance, you may enjoy a walk in the park. There are not plenty of things to experience at the MKM Stadium on a matchday but they definitely have some good food. Pie and pint can smooth over the waiting time before the starting whistle.
In order to book the MKM Stadium tour, you need to call 01482 358 332 or email Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org. The thing is that the tours are infrequent and are mostly private. If you have a group of 20 people who want to visit the stadium and look behind its scenes, it’s more likely you’ll succeed to get there. In any case, things may change in future, so I suggest you give it a try and contact the Hull AFC officials.
The club has no museum of its own at the ground. However, Hull City’s Supporters Trust has recently opened online Hull City AFC museum. It’s pretty simple but sort of cute and I’m pretty sure Hull City’s real fans will enjoy the information provided there. They gather books, videos, DVDs, tickets, kits, fan wear, and other memorabilia and display it online. Some unique detailed articles about the club’s history are provided there.
Hull FC Shop is the website known by almost every member of the Black and White Army. If you are looking for an offline fan shop, Tiger Leisure (Hull City Shop) can be found at Prospect shopping centre. It’s located in the middle of the Old Town.
Things to do in Hull
While the very first thing on my ‘to do list’ before the trip to Hull is always walking around the streets of Hull’s Old Town, the attractions in Hull are fortunately not limited to this. The spectacular Humber Bridge, East Park, Streetlife Museum of Transport, and Hull Marina are the things you’d usually see on the postcards from this city. Below I’ll also list my favourite things to enjoy in Hull.
While it was unavailable for several years, Hull Explorer has recently returned with open bus tours around the city. Hull Explorer is a claret-white double-decker providing vivid and exciting guided tours. It helps the tourists to quickly explore the city’s iconic spots like Queen Victoria Square, The Deep, Hull Minster, and certainly Old Town. The EYMS Buses APP and the bus driver can sell you the tickets.
Top 3 places to visit
The Hull and East Riding Museum – if you are interested in the history of the region from its geological origins to the modern days, this museum will satisfy your needs. Among the most impressive things displayed there are Mortimer Collection of Prehistoric Antiquities, Hasholme Logboat, Anglo-Saxon artefacts, Roman mosaics, and much more.
Humber Car Museum – don’t lose the opportunity to see this unique collection of classic vehicles in Hull. This fantastic venue tells a wonderful story of the British car industry evolution displaying some of the rarest car models you can imagine.
The Humber Bridge – is a unique bridge which broke several records in the past and remains the world’s longest single span suspension bridge available for pedestrians and cyclists. Although I suggest you to take a wonderful walk along the bridge, you should also enjoy walking around the nearby park and nature reserve.