|Address||Victoria Ground, Boothan Road, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 4EG|
The Victoria Ground, also referred to as Boothan Road, used to be a stadium located in Stoke-on-Trent, the UK. It was the permanent home for Stoke City from 1878 to 1997, when the club moved to the Britannia Stadium. The highest attendance was 51,380 during a match between Arsenal and Stoke City that took place in 1937.
Stoke City started to use the ground in 1878, and their first match was against Talke Rangers. The ground was named after Victoria Hotel located nearby. At each end of the ground, there was an open grass bank as well as a small wooden stand on the each of the sides that could host 1,000 people. On the opposite side of the stand, there used to be another bank with the capacity of 4,000 people.
The ground remained unchanged for around 30 years. The football team that was dropped out of the league in 1908 was able to return in 1919, which resulted in the needed to improve the stadium. That is why there were constructed two large grandstands as well as a wooden one with the capacity of 1,000 fans. There were changing rooms and a stove.
In 1935, the Butler Street Stand was constructed with 5,000 seats. There was a small paddock located in front of the seats as well as capacity for another 2,000 people. During WWII, the stand was used for military needs.
Another new stand was constructed in 1960. In the 1960s, more improvements were made, which allowed the ground to remain in good condition up to 1976.
The last final improvements to the stadium took place in the 1980s. The Stanley Matthews suite was opened along with new offices and shops. Due to the Taylor Report, the club was forced to make certain changes to the ground for safety reasons, but they decided to build a new ground instead. Stoke left the stadium in 1997 after using it for 119 years.